Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Weekly Written 5


I was browsing around Yahoo and this heading caught my eye: "New eating disorders". The only two eating disorders that I know of are Anorexia and Bulimia. People who suffer from Anorexia or Bulimia worry about their weight. In their heads they think they are not skinny enough even though they might be too skinny. I was curious to see what these other new eating disorders were like.

One is called Orthorexia. Orthorexia suffers are not really concerned about their weight. They are more concerned about eating healthy foods. They say away from processed foods and anything with artificial food colorings/flavorings. Some are known to go over the board with Orthorexics and it is even linked to anxiety. I personally wouldn’t consider it an eating disorder....I think it’s just your everyday health food nut. It’s nothing wrong with wanting nothing but pure food to enter your body. People who eat healthier foods live longer anyway.

Another new eating disorder is Adult Selective eating. They only eat certain foods that they know or like. They purposely stay away from foods they don’t like because they don’t like the taste or the way it looks. I think this is silly and should not be classified as an eating disorder. People like what they like. They don’t have to like something just because other people like it.

I sometimes think scientist get super bored and look for something to do. I don’t think eating only healthy foods or being a picky eater is life threatening like Anorexia or Bulimia. These people are really concerned about their appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment